The atmosphere of the country during the last days before Independence was quite happening and full of changes.
- On August 13, Muslim women started boarding trains at New Delhi in India to join the newly independent Pakistan
- Just two days before Independence, India had decided on establishing friendly relations with the Soviet Union
- Tripura was under the princely rule for a long time. On August 13, 1947, Tripura’s queen, Maharani Kanchanprava Devi also signed a consent paper for the Merger Agreement to join the Indian Union
- Sir Harilal Jekisundas Kania, who was the Chief Justice of the Federal Court, was made India’s first Chief Justice on this day
- Hamidullah Khan, the Nawab of Bhopal, had demanded to remain independent, or form a union of their own
- The Nizam of Hyderabad issued a declaration announcing that on the transfer of power, his state would be resuming independence
- There was happiness among the Muslims since, the next day, August 14, had been declared as the Independence Day of Pakistan.
To know more what happened in the days before Indian Independence, click here.