14 Aug What exactly happened 1 day before Independence?
- The streets in India were filled with the patriotic fervour for Independence, with a new sense of belonging as well as responsibility
- While there were people celebrating the day, there were a few who were still trying to make it across the imaginary boundary drawn between the two nations
- Hansa Mehta, on behalf of the Women of India, presented the National Flag to the Constituent Assembly of India. She stated in her speech, “We have donned the saffron colour, we have fought, suffered and sacrificed in the cause of our country’s freedom. We have today attained our goal. In presenting this symbol of our freedom, we once more offer our services to the nation.”
- This was the last day when the Union Jack flag inscribed with the Star of India, was lowered from the flagstaff at the Viceroy’s residence
- The Constituent Assembly met in the evening at the constitutional hall as it was getting prepared to become the Legislative Assembly of an Independent India
- People stormed out in the streets before midnight to breathe in the air of Independence after 200 years of British rule.
To know more, click here.